An dieser Stelle berichten wir von Neuigkeiten und besonderen Ereignissen aus dem Schulleben - von A wie Abiball bis Z wie Zeugnisausgabe.

Day 1: MONDAY 09.07.18  Deutschland, Belgien, Niederlande, Frankreich, England

Morgens um 5:00 Uhr war für uns alle Treffpunkt am Deutsch-Ordens Gymnasium. Noch verschlafen räumen wir unsere Koffer ein und fahren dann um 5:30 Uhr voller Vorfreude endlich los. Während der Fahrt halten wir alle 2-3 Stunden an Raststätten an, um kurze Pause zu machen. Wir fahren durch die Niederlande, Belgien bis wir schließlich in Calais (in Frankreich) am Hafen ankommen (ca.17:00Uhr).Dort müssen unsere Pässe kontrolliert werden, damit wir nach England einreisen dürfen. Dann haben wir noch eine Stunde Pause, wo wir etwas essen oder uns die Beine vertreten. Dann geht’s auch schon auf die Fähre nach Dover. Auf der Fähre wird dann noch schnell Geld gewechselt, die ersten Souvenirs werden gekauft oder es wird einfach nur die Aussicht genossen. Um ca.20:00 Uhr kommen wir dann in Dover an und fahren mit dem Bus (auf der linken Seite!) auf direktem Weg nach Hastings. Dort werden wir dann an einer Sammelstelle von den Gastfamilien abgeholt um nach „Hause“ zu fahren. Nach einer kurzen Hausführung gibt es dann auch gleich Abendessen. Meistens Pizza, Pommes oder Spagetti. Die Pommes isst man hier aber nicht wie in Deutschland vorwiegend mit Ketschup, sondern mit Essig. Nach Essen und Hausführung fallen wir erschöpft in unsere Betten und freuen uns riesig auf die kommende Woche. Endlich mal Pause nach 15 Stunden Fahrt.

Day 2: Hastings, Beachy Head (in East Sussex)

Der Wecker klingelt um 7:00 Uhr aber nicht in Deutschland sondern in England. Verschlafen stehen wir auf, machen uns fertig und gehen dann um 7:30 Uhr runter in die Küche der Gastfamilie. Dort gibt es erst einmal Frühstück. Meistens Cornflakes, Toast oder bei manchen sogar etwas typisch Englisches. Dazu gab es auch typisch englisch: Schwarzen Tee mit Milch. Nach dem Frühstück geht’s auch schon los zu den einzelnen Bus Stopps an welchen wir von unserem Bus eingesammelt werden. Aber vorher bekommen wir noch die Lunch Pakete von den Familien. Meistens sind belegte Brötchen, Obst, kleine Chips tüten und ein Schokoriegel drin. Nachdem wir von unserem Bus abgeholt wurden, fahren wir dann an einen Treffpunkt in Hastings und bekommen eine geführte Tour durch die Fischerstadt (von ca. 9:00 -11:00 Uhr). Danach haben wir bis 14 Uhr Freizeit und dürfen in 3-er Grüppchen nochmal selbst die Stadt erkunden. Viele holen sie in der Zeit die berühmten fisch and chips, andere gehen shoppen oder vergnügen sich am Strand. Nach der Mittagspause fahren wir dann zu „Beachy Head“ wo wir ein Kunstprojekt an den Klippen machen dürfen. Danach geht’s auch schon wieder zurück in die Gastfamilie. In unserer Gastfamilie gab es zum Abendessen „Cottage Pie“, das ist ein typisch englisches Gericht aus Fleisch, Gemüse, Kartoffeln und Käse. Nach dem Abendessen unterhalten wir uns noch ein wenig mit unseren Gasteltern, dann geht es auch schon ins Bett.

Day 3: Brighton

Today was Wednesday, the 11th of July and I think almost all of England was looking forward to the evening. For then the English football team would play in the semifinal of the World Cup 2018.  But before that, our teachers had planned something else for us. At 8.30 am we went to the bus stops where our bus picked us up and drove to Brighton.   At 9.55 am we arrived there and could cast a short glance to the Royal Pavilion, a beautiful palace for George IV. which we would visit later on. Even the outward appearance with all those onion towers immediately caught my attention and reminded me of an Indian building. We made a short break at the pier of Brighton and comparing it with the ones of Hastings and Eastbourne, I´m sure we all agreed with Ms. Landkammer who had called it the “Queen of the Piers”.  After that we had a guided bus tour through Brighton. We were told that Brighton became a seaside resort and has been elected to the first “hippest city” of the UK.  Therefore the city has to meet certain criteria. It must have record, vintage and tattoo shops, cafés and vegan restaurants. And as we were driving through the hipster-quarter of the city, we all couldn´t wait to finally get the chance to walk along the streets and explore the unusual and colourful shops with graffiti on their walls.  The tour took about an hour and we returned to the pier from where we walked to the Royal Pavilion. There we should meet after our free time. Three and a half hours later all ninth graders gathered in front of the entrance. We were divided into three groups and got our audio guides. After a short introduction to the safety rules of the museum we were allowed to get in. The magnificently and elaborately designed rooms in Chinese style were really impressive and incredible beautiful. We visited the Banqueting Room, the Great Kitchen, the music room and king George´s bedroom, just to name a few. King George IV. is especially known for his extravagant lifestyle and his passion for horse racing. He loved to eat and celebrate and therefore it isn´t surprising that he had serious weight problems. Between 1815 and 1822 the architect John Nash redesigned and extended the Pavilion and it is his work which is still visible today. His niece, famous Queen Victoria, only visited the Royal Pavilion four times because she didn´t like the position of the building in the city and the loss of her privacy there. The palace was too small for her growing family, as well. So the city of Brighton bought it in 1850.

  At about 4.30 pm the bus was waiting at the pier and we had to depart. Our trip to Brighton was about to terminate.  Back in the host families in Hastings many of the host parents were already sitting in front of the TV, ready for the kick-off of the football match.  Lia and I were very lucky because our host parents had decided to take us to a pub to watch the match. As you can easily imagine the atmosphere was really special and unique, and I´m sure I´ll never forget the reaction of the English when the first goal was shot. Unfortunately, the English couldn´t stand against the Croatian team and lost the match, but many fans were not that sad. They just told me they were proud that their team had come so far.

Day 4: Battle, Rye & Camber Sands

At half past eight on the next day we gathered again at the bus stop and waited for the bus. Some of us still tired, but also excited and full of great expectations. Because later on we would spend the afternoon at the wonderful beach of Camber Sands.  But first of all we were going to visit Battle, where the famous Battle of Hastings took place in 1066. This town is just eight kilometres away from Hastings.  Harold from England and the Duke of Normandy, later also called William the Conqueror fought for the throne of England, at Saturday, the 14th of October. Both thought they would be the legal heir of King Edward the Confessor, who died without declaring a successor.  Although at first it looked like Harold would win the battle, William managed to win the upper hand, playing a trick on the English army. Harold´s soldiers started to flee and Harold himself is supposed to be killed by an arrow, shot into his eye.  That´s why William got his nickname the Conqueror and became the next king of England.  You can still discover the French influences of the victorious Normans on the English language. A pig became pork and a cow became beef.  In the visitor centre we got the chance to test the weight of real Norman and English weapons and watched a film about the reconstruction of the battle running. With an audio guide we walked along the battle field. Battle Abbey is a partially ruined Benedictine abbey, built by William the Conqueror in memory of the dead soldiers of the battle.  After we had spent an hour in Rye, a small typical English town, we continued our trip and drove further to Camber Sands, the only sand dune system in East Sussex. We were lucky that the weather had become sunny and some of us actually went swimming. It was a wonderful afternoon I certainly won´t forget so soon.  Time passed too fast and at 4.30 pm we had to leave the beach. What remains are memories, shells and sand, still in my head and bags – still when I returned home.  In the evening it was a strange feeling to know that it was the last evening in our host families. The last dinner we had with them.

Day 5: London & Way Home

On our last day in England we had to get up earlier than on the other days because we still had to load the luggage into the bus and start the journey to London.  London. Not only the capital of England, but of the United Kingdom. The cultures of many different people have influenced this city over two thousand years of history and made it what it is today: a bustling, growing, vibrant metropolis.  Since there are so many things to do, it can be really difficult to decide which ones you should see, visit or try – especially if you are the first time there and only have three and a half hours of free time.  Fortunately we could depart from Hastings at about 7.50 and two hours later we arrived at the O2-Arena in North Greenwich. With the Tube we went to the Westminster Station and gathered at the place between the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Sadly we weren´t able to see the Elizabeth Tower, also known as Big Ben, as it is being renovated until 2021.  From Westminster Abbey we were free to explore the capital on our own. While some went shopping in Oxford Street, visited Baker Street (with the Sherlock Holmes Museum), the London Eye or Covent Garden, other students took part in a demonstration because Donald Trump was here in London right now.  At 3.15 pm we all met at St. Paul´s Cathedral. Since we still had an appointment at Shakespeare´s Globe Theatre we soon left the place, walked over the Millenium-Bridge, passed the Tate Modern and finally arrived at the famous theatre. There we got an acting workshop with a real actor in the rehearsal rooms of the ensemble, playing a short, adapted scene from “A Midsummer Night´s Dream”. Later on we visited the Globe and were told some information about it and its history. In fact, it is already the third construction of the theatre, as the first one had burned down and the second had been closed due to the London theatre closure in 1642. The modern reconstruction was reopened in 1997.  Afterwards we went along the Themes and took a group photo with the Tower Bridge in the background – sweaty, tired and exhausted, but also happy, as we were.  The Tube brought us back to the O2-Arena in North Greenwich where the bus was already waiting. Our journey to England slowly came to an end.

 It was already dark outside when we reached Dover and waited until we could enter the ferry to Calais at 11.15 pm. As the bus drove on the vehicle, we left the English ground and fifteen hours and only a few hours of sleep later we finally arrived well in Bad Mergentheim.  For me, it was a wonderful and unforgettable journey I really enjoyed. What I took with me is not only a lot of souvenirs and almost countless photos, but unique memories that will remain.

Thank you to all the teachers who have organized the trip and managed it with strong nerves.